Classroom Interpreters - What does an Educational Interpreter do?
An educational interpreter must effectively communicate classroom information between the teacher, the deaf student and other hearing students according to the language level of the student and the goals of the Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
There are many aspects to the educational interpreter’s job that require more than simply conveying what words and grammar the teacher and other students say.
- Implement the Student’s IEP
- Use the Appropriate Modility and Language
- Interpret at the Appropriate Language Level
- Clearly Convey all Aspects of Meaning and Content
- Make Sure the Goal of the Lesson is Clear
- Make Appropriate Use of Fingerspelling
- Facilitate and Support Participation and Social Communication
- Monitor Student Comprehension